Saturday, March 15, 2014

Work Project at a Different School

Instead of going to Occoruro, the ProWorld people and myself went to Huacarpay.  It’s a beautiful little town with a lake in the middle of mountains.  The school is off by itself overlooking the lake.  Apparently the students of the school have to walk 45 minutes to an hour every day to attend: that’s dedication.  It makes sense that they would be willing to do that though, for the school has won many awards for its innovation.  The kids designed the outdoor play areas and a garden.  They all have specific upkeep tasks to further develop ownership of the place.  There is a small store where they can learn math in a real life setting.  When they misbehave, access to the fun places is withdrawn instead of any type of negative punishment.  Next time I will take pictures so I can better explain everything J

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful, although I did get to talk with Peter which was great.  My contact with friends back home has been extremely limited, so I was in need of a conversation like that. 


Later I went on an hour run, which should be over 6 miles.  There were too many people on the street so that did slow me down.  But I am happy with how my body is holding up on some longer altitude runs, I’m confident that I can pick up my training a lot without shocking my body too bad J

No comments:

Post a Comment