Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Shopping, Meghan Departs

I woke up this morning to see Joaquin staring at me, since I was sleeping on the couch in the living room.  I honestly just wanted to sleep, but I could tell that wasn’t going to happen at this point.  He suggested that I bring Meghan breakfast in bed, which I thought was a great idea.  So I made eggs and warmed up fries for our breakfast.  Tania showed me a different way to make eggs without flipping them.  Putting the top of a pot over the pan helps cook both sides worry-free.  You probably already knew that, but I'm an amateur.

Meghan and I first checked out how much we already had to put in her suitcase to bring home as gifts, then went to the markets to fill it the rest of the way.  I don’t want to ruin the surprise in case one of the gifts is for you, but I’ll tell you that we made some good finds.  My bargaining is getting better now that I know the prices to expect.  For example, we got some items for 6.5 soles each instead of her initial offer of 10 when we walked out to look for a different place.  Another purchase of 3 items came down from 30 to 22 soles.  I will be honest with you, I was proud of myself.  Meghan also found a good gift for herself, a beautiful purse with many Peruvian-style colors and designs.  I’m so glad that she didn’t purchase things for everyone back home without finding something for herself.  My main purchase of the day was the pair of hand-made boots I ordered on Monday.  They are durable while looking incredible.  They made 2 variations for me to choose from.  Both were beautiful, but I ended up picking one that had a more bright and extravagant pattern. When in Peru, right?  I’m sure that Meghan was tired of hearing about how much I liked them by the end of the morning.  Meghan is so giving, she wanted to buy flowers for my family here to thank them for the hospitality.  We went to Mercado San Pedro to find these, and found a jackpot of flowers.  We found some beautiful, massive flowers for the family at a good price. 

When we got home, Tania was very excited to see them.  Such a simple but thoughtful gift can really make a big impact.  But Meghan didn’t stop there; she had a Spanish and English Cat in the Hat book for them as well.  It’s so cool, they loved it.  Even though they only spent a few hours together and they could only communicate through me, my family was wishing that Meghan could stay more time with them.  They offered her their house if she ever returns to this city, though they suggested that she learn Spanish J 

Meghan, the fam, and the beautiful orange flowers she bought them from Mercado San Pedro :)
Sandro took us to the airport, then we hung out until her flight was about to take off.  We were going to buy pan chuta for our families, but we didn’t know where to find it in the airport.  So we got creative and she went to the airport bookstore and got a Peruvian cookbook for her family.  A good gift for both selfish and unselfish reasons.  On my way out of the airport after saying the difficult goodbye, I found the breads we were looking for.  Oops.  I guess that the cookbook was meant to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment