Tuesday, March 25, 2014

More Strikes in Cuzco

I knew this transportation strike wouldn’t be very strong when I woke up to cars driving by at about 8 in the morning.  This one was more specific, and it only involved the public transport.  They were requesting for the government to lift some of the taxes on gasoline or to allow them to raise bus prices.  I didn’t even realize the government was in control of that.  After breakfast and all, I went out with Sandro to explore what was going on.  The police were out in force, especially near the airport.  There was one time several years ago when strikers pushed down the outside wall and were able to overtake the airport.  That is basically the one thing that the government fears during these things.  Here’s a picture of the police guarding the airport:



Other than that, there wasn’t much to see.  Most roads were not blocked at all, they were just empty.  By the afternoon taxis were out in force, fully prepared to take advantage of the economic opportunity opened by the lack of buses.  I did take this chance to get pictures of flowers in the median which are usually not available for viewing. 





The rest of the day I spent with my project, which was not especially exciting to describe to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment