Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Finally Back in Belenpampa

This morning was normal except that I was assigned the task of bringing Joaquin to school.  It’s very close and on the way, but the entry door is quite the ordeal.  There are a few Combi-sized vans that seem to serve as buses, but the majority of students arrive with their parents.  This could be via taxi, personal car, or on foot.  It’s certainly a different system than the US, but it seems to work well for them.

It almost felt weird to be in the clinic because I had such a long break.  It has been about 2 and a half weeks since I actually put in a full day there.  I found Jorge in the morning to change services, but he was busy preparing for a yearly evaluation to present to the regional directors so he told me to return later this week.  So I went back to the Sala de Partos for one more day.  Andy and Wilson had left, as had some of the obstetrics students, so I was the most “experienced” during rounds.  With new people doing everything I felt like I knew a lot less than I had before.  I tried talking to the new med students, but they weren’t very friendly.  They would answer my question and nothing more, so no conversations could ever start.  Sad, but I’m glad I had such great med students during my time there.  I felt very out of place today, so I knew it was time to move on.

After work I went to pick up Joaquin, which was also an interesting experience.  The parents gather around the outside gate, then are called in by the grades of their kids.  It was quite easy to navigate, but I was happy Tania had told me that Joaquin is in the 3rd grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment