Monday, February 17, 2014

Preparing for more responsibility

I only have 10 minutes to write this so I will be brief.  In the clinic today, 3 interesting things happened.  First, I asked one of the med students about my musings from yesterday; could I do physical exams and present patients if I stayed another week?  He said absolutely, and subsequently explained all the components of a physical exam; first in general, then for the babies.  That’s the exam that I would be able to do.  I had to look up a few words, but overall I understood everything he said.  On Monday I should be able to practice these new skills!  Second was a pregnant woman (7 months, not ready for birth) who fell in the clinic today.  She was there for something else and fell, then had some significant pains in her abdomen.  I went with the obstetrician and Andy to get her from a doctors consultation office, since that’s where she was taken immediately after the fall.  It was an exciting trip across the clinic because of the urgency.  I helped get her on the transport bed, then we took her to ultrasound.  I’m not exactly sure what was found out there, but they decided to let her rest in the clinic for a while under supervision.  They also filled out paperwork for a hospital visit in case that was necessary later on.  At the end of the day Dr. Jorge did the rounds.  It was appropriate that every bet was filled on the international day of love.  Jorge is a fun guy.  He both gets all the necessary work completed and jokes around with patients.  For example, he asked a woman if she wanted to have another baby right now, and she of course said no.  He jokingly explained that they will probably be back in 2-3 years because she will want to relive the experience.  I learned a lot from this round, since he is also very thorough and speaks good Spanish.  I may ask to follow him in the future, since I think he would be a great guy to have write my letter of rec.  After the round I also acquired permission to take the week of Meghan’s visit off from the clinic :D

No comments:

Post a Comment