Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nazca Lines

I honestly didn’t want to get up at 7 to go see the lines today.  I would have been perfectly content to sleep.  But the Lines are supposedly one of the best sights in Peru, so I couldn’t miss it.  We weren’t given breakfast before the trip, since people with weak stomachs don’t tend to do well in the small planes used for these tours.  We got to the airport at 8 and there were 5 of us plus one Italian who was just joining us for the trip.  There were 4 seats per plane, so those 4 went and we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  By 9:25 we were getting antsy and hungry.  Finally another group came, then we had to pay our airport tax and get through security.  I wish we were told to do those things earlier, since the time they took made us miss the take-off time for the plane.  Each plane only has a 6 minute window.  Hence we and our growling bellies sat for an additional half hour.  It was cool to take pictures with the plane and all, but I’ll be honest that I wasn’t in the best mood by the time we finally got off the ground.  For the amount of money we had to pay I didn’t think it was reasonable that we had to deal with all these hold-ups.  The tour was cool, but it was hard to make out all the smaller, most interesting structures.  It was frustrating when I missed some of the drawings, again because I paid enough that I wanted to see everything.  I also thought the lady next to me was going to cover me in her breakfast because she wasn’t fairing very well with the plane flight. 

Samir and I preparing for takeoff

The hummingbird of the famous Nazca Lines

When we got off we paid and took our ride home, where breakfast was supposed to be waiting for us.  It was 11 at this point, and I was famished.  The chicken we’d eaten the night before didn’t sit well, so this delay in nutrition was very torturous.   Finally at 11:30 food finally came.  1 egg and 2 small pieces of bread.  My dark mood did not improve.  Eventually we went out and got more food along with trying to figure out bus tickets.  It finally worked out the girls would take an economy bus that left at 6 while Samir and I took Cruz Del Sur (the best company) at 9.  We were willing to wait to have good beds and a safer bus. 

After walking around the city for a little while and finding nothing interesting, we went back and chilled at the hotel.

Nothing else exciting happened until Samir, myself, and our new friend, the Italian from the plane this morning, decided to check out the little museum dedicated to Maria Reiche.  She’s the mathematician who dedicated her life to studying the lines.  It looked pretty sketchy from the outside; there was nothing more than some adobe walls, a metal gate, and a sign.  Our boredom caused us to press on and knock.  A lady opened the door and looked at us.  The few seconds of awkward silence were awful, so we asked if we could we could see the museum.  She gave us a blank stare and said “The museum?”  We pointed to the sign and she finally realized what was going on, so she let us in and directed us toward a little, dirty, run-down hut within the outer walls.  There didn’t seem to be anything of value there.  Some basic replicas of the lines, some books by Ms. Reiche, nothing more.  When we asked her questions, it seemed that everything led to a vent about the inadequacy of society and how money was all that mattered to everyone.  She mentioned that the lines pointed to water, but failed to give any concrete examples.  Soon we wanted to just get out, so we lied about our bus time and left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment