Thursday, January 16, 2014

Still learning...

Today boldly began with interval training, which is my first strenuous workout above 11,000 feet.  Some may argue that this is an unintelligent venture since my body probably isn’t fully acclimated after a week and a half, but it worked out fine.  Fast one minute, walk one minute, jog 30 seconds, repeat.  I was able to go pretty fast during the sprints, although I desperately needed all 90 seconds of each of the breaks.  In the end, I survived and should be all the stronger because of it J

The clinic wasn’t too exciting today, although there were a few highlights you may enjoy.  I finally figured out the last document that was a mystery to me!  It is a registration book to document that patients did indeed come and receive their treatment.  I thought the credit was fiscal, but it was actually just receiving approval that they took their drugs for the day.  It’s kind of absurd that it took me this long, I’m not used to being so slow at something.  I’ve decided to stay the week in X-ray, then transfer. 

Visiting the lab is my favorite part of the day.  The ladies there are just over the top.  One of them is originally from Texas, so she always calls me countryman (paisano) when I go in.  Today she asked me if I liked Pizza, but she was definitely saying something closer to pipsa, which is not a word in either language.  That was fun trying to figure that out.  I don’t remember everything else they said, but they’re an absolute riot.  Who knew that dropping off phlegm could be so enjoyable. 

The nursing student I work with is from a small town instead of a developed city, so she knows how to speak Quechua.  I think today marks the first day I’ve started learning a language from a second language.  Although I don’t actually remember the phrases she told me for the basic introduction.  Very cool language. 

I listened to a patient history being taken today.  Very cool, I was glad I could understand some of it.  At the same time, it was very sad.  TB is a crippling disease.  He discussed its ramifications for his family, describing it like a bomb going off because of all the difficulty it caused.  Another patient nearby talked to me about it, how sad are TB’s implications.  She was a bit of a mumbler so it was difficult to talk to her, but I made out much of what she said and made relevant responses whenever she was talking about something I understood.

The doctor lady who scares me (she’s actually Bety, and I mentioned her in a previous post as potentially a nurse who was ordering people around) at one point asked me to get cotton.  It’s very different word than the English and I’d never heard of it, so I was confused.  Embarrassing moment.

Lastly, the pharmacy ran out of a drug that a patient needed, and he was not happy about that.  Makes sense if it’s an (almost) free clinic that patients would not have to worry about those things, but I imagine it’s hard for the pharmacy to get everything there on time.  One of the constant frustrations of medicine I think; resources.

Lunch was uneventful, although I told Tania that I’d help Joaquin with math for 30 minutes a day to help him do better in school.  Hopefully that happens most days, although there will be some that I will be unable to.  I’m almost glad that I get to keep up a little math.  It’s a fun subject for me J 


ProWorld and the internet weren’t eventful, and I eventually came home.  Tania and Benji’s dad is incredible on the guitar.  I listened to him for at least 15 minutes, it’s so gorgeous.  Different than sierra though.  This guitar had a wide neck and was a classic guitar.  But no matter, I loved listening it.  I spent a good amount of time writing for Gilman too.  Good day J

No comments:

Post a Comment