Friday, January 24, 2014

First Injections!

Routine run, then off to the clinic this morning.  I nothing super exciting, but there were a few interesting wound treatments.  One of them had initial stitching and treatment at another aposta, which is actually the word for free clinic.  I missed the a last time I talked to someone about this.  It sounds like there are many throughout Cuzco, but Belenpampa is the largest.  This patient came here because the wound was not treated properly at the other site.  That seems like a big issue to me, and it was to Julia as well.  She told the patient to return to the other place and make it clear to them that they were in error.  We had several little boy patients today too.  One had a fever, but it didn’t take too long for that to subside with the warm rags and some medication.  Another had a fairly large laceration on his face.  The wound was dry and sealed with scab, so they decided to take out the stitches.  The kid didn’t like this very much and seemed to be in pain from it.  Might by psychological since there was a little blade near his face to do the cutting with, who knows.  Another boy had a small infection on his face, presumably from a dog scratch.  He was very upset that his mom had to leave the room because she was carrying a little dog with her.  I was shocked she was allowed to stay as long as she did.  To me, it’s definitely not ok to have a dog in a room where medical procedures are going on.  At all.  But here we are.  This was actually the second dog to enter the ER today.  Another one seemed to be staying close to a blind man.  I guess it could have been an assistance dog, but it was very hyper and wasn’t on a leash.  This animal wasn’t nearly as clean as many dogs in the US, further making it hard to believe that it actually had a legitimate place here.  I’m still saddened and surprised by the number of dogs in the streets, but the dogs within the aposta really throw me for a loop. 

The best part of the day was giving my first intra-muscular injections!  We give all of them in a nalga, which is a butt-cheek.  I’ve learned how to feel for the correct spot, as well as the procedure to do the injection itself.  My first 2 injections did have supervisor oversight, but I am learning a lot and could probably do it myself unassisted soon if they allow me.  It was cool to have this experience though.  I so so so want to stay involved and learn the ins and outs of Peruvian healthcare, and that’s exactly what’s happening as I make it clear to supervisors that I’m interested!
One more interesting thing happened in the clinic today.  Company representative are frequent visitors to the Peruvian central health system.  Not as many as we have in the US, but many.  So a lady from a baby food company brought in many crowns to give to all the child patients.  It was a huge hit; I don’t think there was any young patient who wasn’t wearing a crown by the end of the day. 
In the afternoon I hung out with Joaquin and headed to ProWorld to talk to Meghan.  After my Spanish class I went out to eat with my ProWorld friends, which was nice.  We are developing some community within the group!  The plan is to hang out with a kid from the other ProWorld office in Urubamba this weekend because apparently he needs friends, but we’ve heard he’s quite the character.  I almost wish I didn’t know as much about him as I do.  A girl in the program is very opposed to spending very much time with him, to the point where it’s hilarious because she’s already predicting all the things he’s going to do that she won’t like.  We got a lot of laughs out of her allegations this evening.

As another side note, I often get tired while I’m writing these and so I write incoherent things toward the end.  This was the case in the last post, where the last paragraph made no sense until I edited it.  For this post I also had some nonsense written, which won't be included online.  I find that I mix Spanish and English in these writings along with having thoughts that drift without reason.  I haven’t yet dreamed in Spanish, but maybe I’m close!

No comments:

Post a Comment